Beacon Village
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Beacon Village

Home of the premier village of the City of Islands Minecraft server.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

[proposal] [Draft] City fortifcations upgrade

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
denghis

[proposal] [Draft] City fortifcations upgrade Empty
PostSubject: [proposal] [Draft] City fortifcations upgrade   [proposal] [Draft] City fortifcations upgrade EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 5:27 pm

I propose that in preperation for the upcoming pvp fix, and to make beacon more "city" like, that we create a solid city wall, with gatehouses and watchtowers, may include gates of sorts too using possibly? iron doors.

so.
Create a city wall about 5-8 blocks high and 3-4 blocks wide, add gatehouses at entrance locations, add watchtowers at strategic locations along the wall.

ideas comments welcome beofre final version
Back to top Go down
chad_stumph
Admin
chad_stumph

PostSubject: Re: [proposal] [Draft] City fortifcations upgrade   [proposal] [Draft] City fortifcations upgrade EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 6:50 pm

I like this idea even though walls would basically be decorative since Beacon Village proper will be a neutral zone. How will we defend the water entrances to Beacon, though, without diminishing the natural beauty of our coasts?
Back to top Go down
Ed

PostSubject: Re: [proposal] [Draft] City fortifcations upgrade   [proposal] [Draft] City fortifcations upgrade EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 7:40 pm

Id be against this beacon is a commercial hub not a fortress maybe build a citadel/ castle some place but the city wall should be inviting not imposing.
Back to top Go down
chad_stumph
Admin
chad_stumph

PostSubject: Re: [proposal] [Draft] City fortifcations upgrade   [proposal] [Draft] City fortifcations upgrade EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 7:53 pm

Ed does make a valid point. Beacon should be seen as a beacon in a dangerous world. A safe haven for weary adventurers and soldiers of fortune. It is a commercial hub, albeit not originally planned as such.
Back to top Go down
denghis

PostSubject: Re: [proposal] [Draft] City fortifcations upgrade   [proposal] [Draft] City fortifcations upgrade EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 7:57 pm

True, but won't a prospering trade city at some point atleast historically invest in a defense?

if we can be a trade hub with safe haven and show that we can defend our traders, isn't that also very good?
Back to top Go down
chad_stumph
Admin
chad_stumph

PostSubject: Re: [proposal] [Draft] City fortifcations upgrade   [proposal] [Draft] City fortifcations upgrade EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 9:09 pm

That is also a good point. How about we have walls, but not make them too imposing?
Back to top Go down
denghis

PostSubject: Re: [proposal] [Draft] City fortifcations upgrade   [proposal] [Draft] City fortifcations upgrade EmptySat Oct 09, 2010 9:56 am

well the wall design we had last night chad, was not too imposing, and it does its job well, i am thinking it as a possibility
Back to top Go down
Ed

PostSubject: Re: [proposal] [Draft] City fortifcations upgrade   [proposal] [Draft] City fortifcations upgrade EmptySat Oct 09, 2010 2:23 pm

I think I should declare that i am building massive fortifications around LRR so maybe I'm a tad hypocritical

so long as it has a lot of gates is well lit and most importantly is lower than the buildings it defends so if max building height is 16 have the wall max out at 8

Back to top Go down
chad_stumph
Admin
chad_stumph

PostSubject: Re: [proposal] [Draft] City fortifcations upgrade   [proposal] [Draft] City fortifcations upgrade EmptySat Oct 09, 2010 4:49 pm

The building restrictions in Beacon are 12 height. The wall plan calls for 5-6 blocks high. That would work.
Back to top Go down
Ed

PostSubject: Re: [proposal] [Draft] City fortifcations upgrade   [proposal] [Draft] City fortifcations upgrade EmptySat Oct 09, 2010 6:15 pm

Yeah that works well
Back to top Go down
PlatinumBowser

PostSubject: Re: [proposal] [Draft] City fortifcations upgrade   [proposal] [Draft] City fortifcations upgrade EmptySat Oct 09, 2010 8:53 pm

Whatever you do i recommend you do not use iron doors, and avoid double wood doors, they are highly unstable.

as far as im concerned i'd keep a wall height no more than 4, spiders can jump 3 blocks everything else is 2, that way most people can keep their views
Back to top Go down
chad_stumph
Admin
chad_stumph

PostSubject: Re: [proposal] [Draft] City fortifcations upgrade   [proposal] [Draft] City fortifcations upgrade EmptySat Oct 09, 2010 9:07 pm

PlatinumBowser wrote:
Whatever you do i recommend you do not use iron doors, and avoid double wood doors, they are highly unstable.

as far as im concerned i'd keep a wall height no more than 4, spiders can jump 3 blocks everything else is 2, that way most people can keep their views

Another good point. Walls are generally fairly ugly. There isn't much that can be done to beautify them as they are a practical defense structure, all of which are rather bland. We don't want to destroy the views we've been cultivating and protecting. 4 blocks would be sufficient, not too imposing, and wouldn't block views too badly.
Back to top Go down
Zege

Zege

PostSubject: Re: [proposal] [Draft] City fortifcations upgrade   [proposal] [Draft] City fortifcations upgrade EmptySat Oct 09, 2010 9:15 pm

Would the battlements count towards the overall height?
Back to top Go down
chad_stumph
Admin
chad_stumph

PostSubject: Re: [proposal] [Draft] City fortifcations upgrade   [proposal] [Draft] City fortifcations upgrade EmptySat Oct 09, 2010 11:18 pm

Zege wrote:
Would the battlements count towards the overall height?

I would think so.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [proposal] [Draft] City fortifcations upgrade   [proposal] [Draft] City fortifcations upgrade Empty

Back to top Go down

[proposal] [Draft] City fortifcations upgrade
Page 1 of 1