Beacon Village
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Beacon Village

Home of the premier village of the City of Islands Minecraft server.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Beacon Village Subsidiaries and Protectorates

Go down 
+2
chad_stumph
DuoNoxSol
6 posters
AuthorMessage
DuoNoxSol

Beacon Village Subsidiaries and Protectorates Empty
PostSubject: Beacon Village Subsidiaries and Protectorates   Beacon Village Subsidiaries and Protectorates EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 4:52 pm

As we all know, a city is unlikely to stay within its borders for very long, especially one so prosperous as Beacon Village. Thus, I feel that the matter of Protectorates and Subsidiaries is now at hand. As of yet, Beacon Village extends only to where its walls reach, officially, although there are people just slightly outside of Beacon Village who would wish to be part of it. For example, Delrix owns a bread shop which is on the path to Beacon Village. He, although I've yet to consult him, may wish to become a subsidiary of Beacon Village, and get the perks of access to Vanguard Division 2. Let me explain further.

1. Subsidiaries
1. A tiny (eight or fewer houses, shops, or residences) village may apply to become a subsidiary of Beacon Village. Thus, they would adhere to less strict building codes (they being outside of the planned city of Beacon Village,) and gain the ability to call on the Vanguard Division 2. Should rules be imposed in the future, such as a tax (which looks unlikely,) they would have to adhere to it. In addition, they may serve exiled players, but not take them into residence with them.

2. Protectorates
2. A larger area (large enough to be classified as a town) may apply to become a protectorate. They must have their own government, although they make choose to make and run a whole portion of the Beacon Village forum. They will have their own building codes, but should allow certain citizen only features accessible to Beacon Village citizens. In addition, all exiled players from Beacon Village will be exiled from the protectorate as well, although there may be a separate policy for the removal of those exiled from town. They have limited access to Vanguard Division 2, depending on distance from Beacon Village, and can, in some cases, get automatic citizenship to Beacon Village themselves.
Back to top Go down
chad_stumph
Admin
chad_stumph

PostSubject: Re: Beacon Village Subsidiaries and Protectorates   Beacon Village Subsidiaries and Protectorates EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 6:48 pm

Duo, these are very interesting ideas, but they begin to make Beacon become more than just a town. From what I understand by reading the section on protectorates and subsidiaries, you are proposing that Beacon become more like a kingdom, nation, county (whatever you want to call it).

While we might consider this and even discuss the possibility of forming a larger regional governance, your idea might be difficult to implement immediately. Outlying areas are subject to PvP once implemented and Vanguard Division 2 might have difficulty enforcing such a large populated area. Division 2 operates out of Beacon, but it is an independent agency and would already protect those settlements.

However, I still like the idea and where it is going. We should flesh it out further and discuss what we can do to expand our influence outside of Beacon's walls.
Back to top Go down
Ed

PostSubject: Re: Beacon Village Subsidiaries and Protectorates   Beacon Village Subsidiaries and Protectorates EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 7:39 pm

well although I'm mainly affiliated to LRR I do have a few thoughts on wider regional governance

Beacon has a city council of four for a population of ~ 32 (correct me if thats wrong)

A village with population more than 6 but less than 20 would be governed by a constable

Settlements over 20 would be run by a council a member per 8 residents a person can only register in one settlement. The person on a council who got most votes leads that council as mayor.

All council members and constables sit on a regional government with the addition of a leader elected by all residents of the region.

I realise this would require a separate town hall and capital building in beacon
Back to top Go down
chad_stumph
Admin
chad_stumph

PostSubject: Re: Beacon Village Subsidiaries and Protectorates   Beacon Village Subsidiaries and Protectorates EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 7:51 pm

Ed, a lot of that is actually what I already had set up. Beacon now has 33 unique residents and is still growing. However, in order to grow much more, we will have to expand the town borders. For Beacon, the Council consists of four councilors and the mayor, who will be elected separately. Councilors serve two week terms and the mayor a month.

Constables are the governing officer of hamlets, which are small settlements with populations under 10, such as Midway Hamlet. As of yet, the Constable isn't an elected, but rather an appointed position by the Beacon Village Council. This may change in the future.

Legislatively, adding additional settlements isn't a problem. The problem I see is what benefit do they derive by being attached to Beacon?
Back to top Go down
furaiz

PostSubject: Re: Beacon Village Subsidiaries and Protectorates   Beacon Village Subsidiaries and Protectorates EmptySat Oct 09, 2010 7:08 am

And what about Beacon Heights?

It seems to be a part of beacon and not really only by name.

Back to top Go down
Ed

PostSubject: Re: Beacon Village Subsidiaries and Protectorates   Beacon Village Subsidiaries and Protectorates EmptySat Oct 09, 2010 2:20 pm

I can only think of two fair ways to handle it.

1. treat it as a separate settlement and follow the same rules as midway

2. It is a part of beacon and once it has the population needed it gets a seat on the council

The advantage of a regional government consisting of all councillors and constables and a 'president' (title can be thought up) is scale sanctions would be bigger concessions greater ect.

Also if a place has trouble it can be assisted by the whole area.

Also defence if one is attacked all are attacked that's a decent deterrent
Back to top Go down
chad_stumph
Admin
chad_stumph

PostSubject: Re: Beacon Village Subsidiaries and Protectorates   Beacon Village Subsidiaries and Protectorates EmptySat Oct 09, 2010 4:48 pm

That seems to operate with the assumption that regions are self-contained. The problem is that there are too few of us to have multiple regional entities without overlap. Along with Beacon, I also have a home in Sunnyvale. Many residents of Beacon have homes elsewhere and coming to the defense of one by all might be a conflict of interest for some players.
Back to top Go down
PlatinumBowser

PostSubject: Re: Beacon Village Subsidiaries and Protectorates   Beacon Village Subsidiaries and Protectorates EmptySat Oct 09, 2010 9:14 pm

let us not forget that Vanguard also has a division just for area's outside of townships covered by other divisions
Back to top Go down
chad_stumph
Admin
chad_stumph

PostSubject: Re: Beacon Village Subsidiaries and Protectorates   Beacon Village Subsidiaries and Protectorates EmptyFri Oct 15, 2010 1:52 pm

I think it is time to rethink this idea and expand upon it.

I've been giving the idea a lot of thought. It seems that there are individuals and groups claiming large tracks of land all around Beacon. Eventually, if we do not act soon, we will be boxed in.

I propose that we follow suit. We can go out and build a short perimeter cobble wall around our claim and place signs marking it as such. The boundaries I propose are in blue on the map below.

Beacon Village Subsidiaries and Protectorates Beaconcountysmaller

I called it Beacon County to keep with the theme I've cultivated. It will require a modified government rather than just the village council. A County Council can manage the affairs of the County instead. Rather than having an at-large election, perhaps districts to elect Council members. Beacon Village would obviously have the most seats, probably three or four. Smaller settlements, such as Midway, would only have one. Any intermediate settlement with a size between the two can have two councilors.

On second thought, perhaps an at large election would be better with all county residents voting for at-large candidates from anywhere in the county. Might work better for folks living outside of settlements.

I also propose that we scrap Vanguard Division 2 and create our own Militia. With numerous kingdoms and such developing with their own military bodies, we need to follow suit. Vanguard is too large. If factional PvP arises, what side will Vanguard take considering that they effectively cover the entire map? I built most of the Vanguard HQ in Beacon and don't have any problem revoking Vanguard's lease. It can be the HQ for the Beacon Defense Force or whatever we call it.

Ideas? Criticism? Suggections?
Back to top Go down
DuoNoxSol

PostSubject: Re: Beacon Village Subsidiaries and Protectorates   Beacon Village Subsidiaries and Protectorates EmptyFri Oct 15, 2010 3:25 pm

That map is very accurate to what our territory is, and I agree with all of your statements, chad. I would also go for an at-large election system. Finally, when the server is back up, I'd like to see your opinions on the path to Border Village (within the empire.)
Back to top Go down
chad_stumph
Admin
chad_stumph

PostSubject: Re: Beacon Village Subsidiaries and Protectorates   Beacon Village Subsidiaries and Protectorates EmptyFri Oct 15, 2010 3:48 pm

DuoNoxSol wrote:
That map is very accurate to what our territory is, and I agree with all of your statements, chad. I would also go for an at-large election system. Finally, when the server is back up, I'd like to see your opinions on the path to Border Village (within the empire.)

Have you decided on a location?
Back to top Go down
DuoNoxSol

PostSubject: Re: Beacon Village Subsidiaries and Protectorates   Beacon Village Subsidiaries and Protectorates EmptyFri Oct 15, 2010 3:52 pm

chad_stumph wrote:
DuoNoxSol wrote:

Have you decided on a location?

I thought that a location very close to that sand bank in the upper-right corner would be preferable. That way, we'd be able to have a nice road to the wilderness after the 31st update.
Back to top Go down
chad_stumph
Admin
chad_stumph

PostSubject: Re: Beacon Village Subsidiaries and Protectorates   Beacon Village Subsidiaries and Protectorates EmptyFri Oct 15, 2010 4:07 pm

That sounds good. There is already a tunnel from Beacon Village to that landmass in existence in darthskullik's old house. Since he is now banned, all we have to do is reclaim his lot, demolish the house and make the tunnel a better route to get over there.
Back to top Go down
furaiz

PostSubject: Re: Beacon Village Subsidiaries and Protectorates   Beacon Village Subsidiaries and Protectorates EmptyFri Oct 15, 2010 5:35 pm

chad_stumph wrote:
That sounds good. There is already a tunnel from Beacon Village to that landmass in existence in darthskullik's old house. Since he is now banned, all we have to do is reclaim his lot, demolish the house and make the tunnel a better route to get over there.

Is it a permanent ban? But I agree his tunnel is good, and has a few rooms built in the sides, so possible trading centres along it as well ^^
Back to top Go down
chad_stumph
Admin
chad_stumph

PostSubject: Re: Beacon Village Subsidiaries and Protectorates   Beacon Village Subsidiaries and Protectorates EmptyFri Oct 15, 2010 6:41 pm

furaiz wrote:
chad_stumph wrote:

Is it a permanent ban? But I agree his tunnel is good, and has a few rooms built in the sides, so possible trading centres along it as well ^^

I wasn't the one who initiated the ban, so I don't know if it's permanent, but either way, he broke a law and must pay for it with his property. Demolition starts as soon as the server is fixed.
Back to top Go down
Ed

PostSubject: Re: Beacon Village Subsidiaries and Protectorates   Beacon Village Subsidiaries and Protectorates EmptyFri Oct 15, 2010 7:58 pm

wow my map did I post that here? It has various LRRite annotations.

i would advise in the north west corner you run your boarder up to ours saves anyone squatting in the middle
Back to top Go down
chad_stumph
Admin
chad_stumph

PostSubject: Re: Beacon Village Subsidiaries and Protectorates   Beacon Village Subsidiaries and Protectorates EmptyFri Oct 15, 2010 8:10 pm

I copied the map from the LRR forums since it was a smaller file size. That's a good idea, I just wasn't exactly sure where the LRR borders were.
Back to top Go down
Master Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Beacon Village Subsidiaries and Protectorates   Beacon Village Subsidiaries and Protectorates EmptyFri Oct 15, 2010 9:23 pm

Given the healthy diplomatic relations between our settlements, and how we have far more freedom in expanding than you do at the moment, I think we can give you most of the water south of the proposed bridge, and at least some of the land beyond our South Gate, given a healthy buffer zone.
Back to top Go down
chad_stumph
Admin
chad_stumph

PostSubject: Re: Beacon Village Subsidiaries and Protectorates   Beacon Village Subsidiaries and Protectorates EmptyFri Oct 15, 2010 9:30 pm

Feel free to make marks on the map to show what areas you are referring to and we'll negotiate a suitable boundary between us.
Back to top Go down
Master Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Beacon Village Subsidiaries and Protectorates   Beacon Village Subsidiaries and Protectorates EmptyFri Oct 15, 2010 10:23 pm

Beacon Village Subsidiaries and Protectorates Beaconcountysmaller

Red line indicates potential border between Beacon and LRR. If/When we construct a bridge, it will likely be undertaken as a joint project, and function as shared territory.
Back to top Go down
chad_stumph
Admin
chad_stumph

PostSubject: Re: Beacon Village Subsidiaries and Protectorates   Beacon Village Subsidiaries and Protectorates EmptySat Oct 16, 2010 1:10 am

Here is a different map with the entire settled area with boundary lines. I moved them a bit to accommodate the new border with Ren's place and with LRR.

Beacon Village Subsidiaries and Protectorates Servermap1a

Back to top Go down
Ed

PostSubject: Re: Beacon Village Subsidiaries and Protectorates   Beacon Village Subsidiaries and Protectorates EmptySat Oct 16, 2010 7:20 am

that works for me when a new carto is out we should get it marled up

also when do that out boarder should be blue or cyan.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Beacon Village Subsidiaries and Protectorates   Beacon Village Subsidiaries and Protectorates Empty

Back to top Go down

Beacon Village Subsidiaries and Protectorates
Page 1 of 1